Battling unsightly blemishes? Then benzoyl peroxide is your new BFF!
A topical antibacterial treatment, benzoyl peroxide kills acne-causing bacteria on
How much benzoyl peroxide should you use?
Benzoyl peroxide typically comes in 2.5%, 5%, and 10% concentrations, depending on the severity of your acne. Because benzoyl peroxide can be potent, you should begin by using it every other day. During this time, see how your skin reacts. If you don't notice any irritation, redness, or dryness, you can then start using it every day.
Acne skincare tips from the pros
To really banish blemishes for good, you just can't use any ordinary skincare products. You need to find the right combination, which can be tricky. And not all acne sufferers have oily skin. Some actually have dry or sensitive skin. Pro skincare tips include:
- Don't over-exfoliate. Using a facial scrub can actually make acne worse. This is because it can irritate skin and increase oil production.
- Only use oil-free moisturizers and cosmetics. The oil found in most moisturizers and cosmetics can clog pores, leading to breakouts.
- Sanitize your phone. Bacteria easily builds up on phones, and think about all the times you hold your phone up against your face. Bacteria and dirt can easily transfer from your phone to your cheeks, aggravating acne. Make sure to sanitize your smartphone at least once or twice a day using antibacterial wipes.
- Wash your face regularly. It's important to wash your face twice a day to reduce the buildup of dirt and oil on your skin. This will help to reduce pimples.
- Stay out of the sun. The sun's rays not only increase inflammation, but they also damage skin. Tanning can make active acne and acne scars far worse. You should always wear a hypoallergenic oil-free facial sunblock before going out into the sun.
- Exercise. Cardio exercise increases blood flow and helps your body detoxify, resulting in clearer skin. Make sure to shower right after exercising.
healthy. Certain foods, especially processed ones that contain sugar and dairy, can make acne worse. Instead, reach for fruits, vegetables, lean meats andwhole grains.
The best products containing benzoyl peroxide
Benzoyl peroxide is usually the first line of defense in the battle against acne. Tons of skincare products exist that have added benzoyl peroxide, including cleansers, moisturizers, facial scrubs, and topical creams.
Acne-Free Acne Cleanser
This skin cleanser contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to reduce the frequency and severity of outbreaks.
Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Cleanser
This potent acne cleanser boasts 10% benzoyl peroxide, which is the highest strength. It's clinically proven to reduce size and redness of stubborn acne in just one day.
PanOxyl Acne Creamy Wash
This body and face acne wash contains 5% benzoyl peroxide to clear existing acne blemishes. It also formulated to be gentle on
Differin Daily Deep Cleanser
Ideal for those with sensitive skin, this cleanser contains 5% benzoyl peroxide that deeply penetrates pores while releasing a gentle moisturizer.
Humane Acne Wash
This powerful cleanser contains 10% benzoyl peroxide to reduce serious acne. It's free of parabens, fragrance, SLS, and animal products.
Neutrogena Clear Pore Scrub
This facial scrub contains 3.7% benzoyl peroxide and exfoliating microbeads to kill acne-causing bacteria and unclog pores.
Proactiv Skin Smoothing Exfoliator
This exfoliating face wash contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide as well as glycolic acid and exfoliating beads to reduce acne and even out skin texture.
Exposed Skincare Acne Treatment Serum
This facial serum contains 3.5% benzoyl peroxide that helps treat cystic acne.
DRMTLGY 24 Hour Acne Serum
This powerful facial serum contains 5% benzoyl peroxide that deeply penetrates pores. It treats acne breakouts and reduces pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads all within 24 hours.
Infinite Skin Clarity Serum
This facial serum combines salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide to reduce breakouts, treat acne scars, and heal skin.
Dr. Song Advanced Acne Gel
This topical gel contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide that gently spot treats existing pimples.
AcneFree Terminator 10
This acne cream contains 10% benzoyl peroxide, which helps clear up acne and prevents new blemishes from forming. It also contains chamomile, ginger, and sea whip to soothe irritated skin.
Clean & Clear
This acne gel contains 10% benzoyl peroxide that helps treat pimples and prevent breakouts by releasing benzoyl peroxide deep into pores.
Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Spot Gel
This acne gel, which contains 10% benzoyl peroxide, is clinically proven to reduce size and redness of stubborn acne in under two hours.
Paula's Choice Daily Skin Clearing Treatment
This acne cream contains 5% benzoyl peroxide that minimizes stubborn acne, calms redness, and controls excess oil all while hydrating skin to diminish dryness.
On-the SpotAcne Treatment
This acne cream contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide that kills acne-causing bacteria, preventing new pimples from forming. It absorbs quickly into the skin and works invisibly.