June is National Gay Pride month, which makes it easily one of the most colorful months of the year. Major cities across the U.S. hold large Pride festivals to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of LGBTQ+ people and communities, and the impact they have had
There are tons of ways you can celebrate Gay Pride this month, including attending local festivals and parades and even hosting your own Pride party.
Cause for celebration
While Pride parties are super fun, it's important not to lose sight of the meaning behind Gay Pride. Remember that it represents a positive stance against discrimination and violence toward LGBTQ+ communities. Gay Pride also serves to acknowledge all the accomplishments of LGBTQ+ communities as well as celebrate diversity and inclusivity.
Set the stage for your own Pride celebration at home by using colorful decorations. Buy some paper lanterns in a rainbow of festive colors, and hang them around your space. Then place mini gay pride flags everywhere, including flower pots and on the walls. Don't be afraid to wear a colorful outfit and adorn yourself with glitter, too!
Don't forget about colorful cocktails
No party would be complete without some tasty cocktails. Gay Pride month is all about getting creative. Serve cocktails that really stand out from the crowd, and are unique. Here are some ideas:
These brightly colored jello shots are the perfect way to celebrate Gay Pride!
- 1 three-ounce package Jell-O cherry
- 1 three-ounce package Jell-O orange
- 1 three-ounce package Jell-O lemon
- 1 three-ounce package Jell-O lime
- 1 three-ounce package Jell-O berry blue
- 4 cups plain vodka
- Whipped cream
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Tall clear plastic shot glasses
- In five separate bowls, add 1cup boiling water to each packet of gelatin
- Stir until gelatin dissolves, and then stir in 3/4 cup vodka into each color
- Place shot glasses inside openings of a muffin pan and tilt on the edges
- Fill the glasses one-fifth of the way with red gelatin
- Place in refrigerator and allow to set for a half hour
- Repeat the above process with the next color in the rainbow, placing back in the refrigerator for another half hour
- Repeat until you have used all five colors
- Then refrigerate overnight
- When you're ready to serve the shots, top with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles
Image Credit: Momdot.com
This colorful sangria recipe uses real fruit to form a rainbow.
- 3 cups blackberries
- 3 cups blueberries
- 6 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 2 cups diced frozen mango
- 8 mandarin oranges, peeled
- 2 cups halved strawberries
- 1 1/2 bottles of white wine
- 1/2 cup triple sec
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large glass pitcher, layer blackberries, blueberries, kiwis, pineapple, mango, oranges, and strawberries
- In another bowl, mix together white wine, triple sec, lime juice, and sugar until combined
- Pour liquid into pitcher and stir
- Ladle into glasses
This whimsical cocktail is purple in color with a shimmer.
- 5 ounces strawberry lemonade
- 1 ounce blue raspberry vodka
- 1/2 ounce Grenadine
- 1/4 teaspoon lilac pearl dust
- Edible glitter
- In a highball glass, add the lemonade
- Then add some lilac pearl dust to the lemonade
- Stir so that the drink shimmers
- Add the blue raspberry vodka
- Add in the Grenadine
- Place some ice in the glass
- Add some edible glitter as a garnish
Loud and proud
Gay Pride is all about celebrating loudly and proudly. Whether you host a Pride party at home or attend a Pride festival in your city, you're sure to have a blast. Remember that Gay Pride is all about celebrating inclusivity, so don't be afraid to get all dressed up and show your true colors.