The Best DIY Lip Balm Recipes
A lot of conventional lip balms contain harmful ingredients, such as parabens, synthetic colors and dyes, and artificial fragrances and flavors that actually dry out your lips. But it's fun, easy, and affordable creating your own organic lip balm. All you need is a double boiler, a metal funnel, and some lip balm tubes.
These 5 DIY organic lip balm recipes contain ingredients you can pronounce, and they'll leave your lips feeling kissably soft:
1. Peppermint Vanilla Coconut Lip Balm
This organic lip balm recipe contains organic coconut oil, coco butter, and shea butter, which makes it ultra emollient.
- 2 teaspoons organic beeswax
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic coco butter
- 1 teaspoon organic unrefined shea butter
- 4 teaspoons organic olive oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops vanilla extract
- Using a double boiler, melt all ingredients together
- Whisk while all ingredients are melting
- Remove from heat once the beeswax has melted
- Add the essential oils, and blend together
- Pour the mixture into tubes or pots using a metal funnel
- Allow to cool, and then cap
This recipe makes eight tubes of lip balm and the shelf life is up to one year.
2. Hibiscus Cinnamon Tinted Lip Balm
This super moisturizing lip balm contains cinnamon that makes your lips plumper, and hibiscus powder to add a natural rose tint to lips.
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic hibiscus powder
- 20 drops cinnamon essential oil
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil and beeswax over medium heat
- Stir until completely melted
- Add the hibiscus powder and cinnamon essential oil
- Whisk everything together
- Carefully pour the mixture into tubes using a funnel
- Allow cooling for an hour before capping
This recipe makes 24 tubes of lip balm, and the shelf life is up to one year.
3. Honey Almond Lip Balm
This soothing organic lip balm is made with raw honey and sweet almond oil to hydrate lips.
- 2 tablespoons organic sweet almond oil
- 2 tablespoons organic shea butter
- 3 teaspoons organic beeswax
- 1 1/2 teaspoons raw, organic honey
- Over low heat in a double boiler melt the sweet almond oil, shea butter, and beeswax
- Stir until everything is melted and blended together
- Remove from heat, and add the raw, organic honey
- Whisk together
- Pour the mixture into lip balm tubes using a funnel
- Allow to cool for at least an hour, then cap
This recipe makes enough to fill 15 lip balm tubes, and the shelf life is up to two years.
4. Lavender Coconut Lip Balm
This ultra-hydrating lip balm contains organic extra-virgin coconut oil and lavender essential oil, which heals and nourishes chapped lips.
- 1 tablespoon organic almond oil
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic beeswax pastilles
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Melt the organic almond oil, extra-virgin coconut oil, and beeswax pastilles in a double boiler on low heat
- Stir continuously until ingredients are melted
- Add the lavender essential oil and stir until blended
- Fill the lip balm tubes using a funnel
- Allow cooling for two hours before capping
This recipe makes 10 tubes of lip balm, and the shelf life is up to six months.
5. Lemon Rosemary Lip Balm
This organic lip balm is made from castor oil, which gives your lips some sheen, and vitamin E oil that moisturizes and soothes dry, chapped lips.
- 1/2 cup organic almond oil
- 2 tablespoons organic beeswax
- 1 teaspoon organic vitamin E oil
- 1 tablespoon castor oil
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
- 15 drops rosemary essential oil
- Combine the organic almond oil and beeswax in a double boiler until melted
- Remove from heat and stir in the vitamin E oil and castor oil
- Add the lemon and rosemary essential oils
- Blend all ingredients together
- Pour into lip balm tubes using a funnel
- Allow hardening for an hour before capping
This recipe makes ten tubes of lip balm, and the shelf life is up to a year.
Go organic for ultra-soft lips
If you want kissably soft lips, then ditch conventional lip balms that contain harmful ingredients. Making your own organic lip balm is not only super easy, it's also affordable. Try one of the above DIY recipes, and your lips will feel mega moisturized and nourished.
1. "A Recipe for Homemade Warm Vanilla and Honey Lip Balm," Frugally Sustainable, December 4, 2017.
2. "DIY Organic Lip Balm," Lia Griffith, n.d.
3. "How to Make DIY Organic Lip Balm for $0.60 per Tube," The Nourished Life, n.d.
4. "Natural Lip Care and a Homemade Lip Balm Recipe," DIY Natural, n.d.
5. "Organic DIY Lip Balm Recipe for Just $0.24 a Tube," Don't Mess with Mama, n.d.