Thick, lustrous hair — some women have it naturally.
Fortunately, you don’t have to let nature leave you longing for lovely locks. Knowledge is a great equalizer. Get gorgeous hair with these few simple tricks.
"C's" the day: cut and coloring are crucial
Add more bang to your look with bangs. They make your hair appear fuller and thicker. This is especially true if you have full hair in front and thin up top. Coloring the hair beneath your bangs two shades darker to make your hair look even fuller. "By keeping the bottom layer of your hair (from the middle of your head down to your nape) slightly darker than the rest, you create depth and the illusion of thickness," Shape recommends.
If you want more than an effect of fullness, highlights are your solution. The bleach swells hair shafts, making your hair fuller. Plus, a mix of shades gives an appearance of density.
If coloring is not in the cards, layers can deliver fullness. Keep your hair’s lower layers one inch shorter than its top layers to create the effect.
There’s a shorter route to fullness. To get there, keep you hair shoulder-length. This will make it easier to style and volumize it.
Styling helps you pump up the volume
While creams and heavy gels weigh hair down, a thickening mousse can deliver fullness. "Spray about a golf ball-size amount of mousse into your palm," BuzzFeed advises. "Then, take a comb and gently run it over the mousse to get a little bit of product on the bristles. Comb through from the mid-lengths to the ends and continue around your entire head until it’s evenly distributed."
Once you’ve applied mousse, let your hair air-dry nearly all the way. Then blow dry as you use a round brush to lift your hair’s roots and create volume. "Start by flipping your head to either side as you rough-dry your hair with your hands," Redbook advises. "Then, once you begin styling with a round brush, pull each section out to the side, at a 90-degree angle, instead of flipping your hair over and straight down."
Hair care with flair
The right hair style and color is only half the battle. The other half is choosing the right styling products. Here are some great hair care products that can bring volume to your hair:
- The ultra-fine, feather-light formula of Suave Professionals Weightless Blow Dry Spray provides even coverage, giving your hair a weightless, shiny look.
- Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder functions as both a volumizer and a dry shampoo. It instantly perks up limp locks.
- Serge Normant Dream Big Instant Volumizing Spray combines an awesome volumizer with hairspray. You’ll achieve silky, full hair in just a few blasts.
- Keratin Complex Lift Off Root Amplifying Styling Gel's formula gives you voluminous waves and smooths out frizz.
- Perfect if you have fine hair, the amazingly affordable TRESemmé Max Volume Styling Cream is infused with wheat amino acids. These help to plump up your strands on contact.
- The three-step Alterna Bamboo Blowout Bombshell Kit gives your hair amazing volume without weighing it hair down.
- Infused with chamomile, aloe vera, and essential oils, Eufora Full Effect Dry Texturizing Spray hydrates your hair while volumizing it.
- Finally, Shu Uemura Art of Hair Fiber Lift Protective Volumizer contains copolymers, which bulk up thin hair to add shape and volume.
Nothing "locks" in full, sexy hair like the right style–product combo
As you can see, thick, lustrous hair is all about finding the right style and product combination that works for you. After all, great hair is like greatness itself. If you weren't born with it, you can easily achieve it.