Skin gritting, the newest -- and weirdest -- beauty trend that's taken over the Reddit skincare community, has now spread across the internet. While some people claim skin gritting is the ultimate DIY blackhead removal treatment, some dermatologists aren't entirely convinced.
What is skin gritting? It's an at-home beauty technique that involves first massaging your face with oil, then applying a clay mask, and lastly massaging your skin with oil again. This results in black bumps being removed from the skin, which many believe to be
So tonight I'm following @fiddysnails tips on how to clean out blackheads and sebaceous filaments 🌚 First you use a BHA liquid to loosen up all the gunk in your pores, then apply a clay mask, then do an oil cleanse 🌙✨ I'm excited to see the results (and Jonny's results, as he's trying it with me) . . . #theplantone #botanics #facialoil #oilcleanser #koreanskincare #koreanbeauty #kbeauty #kskincare #skincare #skincarequeen #skincareblogger #skincareblog #organicskincare #organicbeauty #beautybloggersuk #beautyblogger #bbloggers #bbloggersuk #skincareroutine #skincareroutine #fbloggers #lbloggers #skincareproducts #blackheads #blackheadremoval #cosrx #bha #gritting #skingritting
Dermatologists think otherwise, though. Many dermatologists and other
However, if you do skin gritting too often or massage your skin too hard or for too long, you can actually cause some serious damage resulting in broken capillaries, micro-cuts in your skin, and inflammation.
Get rid of blackheads the safe and easy way
The verdict's out -- you're better off staying away from the latest skin gritting fad. If you actually want to remove unsightly blackheads, do it the right way following these pro tips:
- Try salicylic acid. Apply salicylic acid gel on your blackheads. It'll dissolve them. Make sure to use a leave-on product rather than a cleanser or soap. You'll notice results after a few weeks.
- Exfoliate. Use an enzymatic exfoliator at least two times a week. Look for facial masks that contain papaya, charcoal, pineapple extract or clay that'll wash away surface skin cells.
- Get a laser treatment. Certain lasers that are low-energy and low-density, like Clear + Brilliant and Aerolase, heat the deeper layers of skin without damaging the top layer.
- Use pore strips. Pore strips that you can buy at the drug store can immediately remove both unwanted whiteheads and blackheads. Use them once a week on your chin, nose, and forehead.
- Buy a retinoid product. It clears clogged pores and prevents blackheads from forming. Retinoid improves the way skin grows and sheds, resulting in clearer skin. You might notice some skin peeling for the first few weeks of use, but this is normal.
- Go for microdermabrasion. This is a professional method of exfoliating the skin, which helps improve skin's texture and appearance.
- Use the right facial cleanser. Wash your face using a cleanser containing salicylic acid that helps to unclog pores. It'll also prevent blackheads from forming.
- Incorporate a mechanized brush into your beauty routine. This types of facial brushes loosen up whiteheads and blackheads faster, especially when they're used with salicylic acid facial cleansers.
Pass on skin gritting for good
While every woman wants clear, smooth skin, you shouldn't go to great extremes to try to get rid of blackheads. There is no evidence behind skin gritting to prove that it actually works. Not to mention, it can cause some serious harm to your skin. Instead, rid yourself of blackheads using safe, dermatologist-approved methods. You'll be thankful you didn't get in on this skincare craze.
- "6 Ways to Get Rid of Blackheads and Prevent Them from Coming Back," Huffington Post, December 27, 2017.
- "How to Get Rid of Blackheads, According to Top Dermatologists," Allure, July 14, 2017.
- "Skin Gritting" is Blackhead Removal Like You've Never Seen Before," Glamour, may 11, 2017.
- "The Crazy Blackhead-Removing Trick People on Reddit are Obsessed with," Women's Health, May 12, 2017.