It's common knowledge that to prevent premature aging, you should always wear SPF, avoid smoking cigarettes and use the right skincare products. While these skin care recommendations aren't new, the concept behind them is.
What is skin fitness?
Celebrity dermatologist Dr. Will Kirby coined the term "skin fitness," which is all about preventing skin problems from developing in the first place. While the commonly used term "anti-aging" refers to correcting existing skin issues, such as fine lines and wrinkles, skin fitness focuses exclusively on preventative measures that you can take daily to maintain optimal skin.
According to Dr. Will Kirby, you can create an ideal skin fitness routine by combining skincare treatments with proper skincare products "to make your skin look great today, and maintain that skin for a long, long time."
Why is it important?
Research shows that skin aging is accumulative over time. That means, if you bake in the sun during your 20s, you'll see those effects on your skin beginning in your early 30s. Dermatologists agree that to prevent premature aging, you should wear sunblock religiously starting in your teens and early 20s. In a nutshell, prevention means staying out of the sun. You should apply a sunscreen with an SPF of 50 or higher that protects against both UVA and UVB rays every single day, rain or shine.
You should also incorporate anti-aging skincare products into your daily routine when you are in your early-to-mid 20s. This will help to protect against free radicals and oxidative stress, lessening the accumulative effect over several years. Choose a vitamin C serum that will neutralize free radicals and brighten the skin. Peptides are also essential to boost collagen, and home peel pads encourage skin cell renewal by exfoliating skin. Lastly, you should start upping the hydration in your skincare routine. Apply an emollient night cream that sinks into the skin and doesn't leave a greasy residue.
What are other ways to maintain great skin?
Maintaining great skin comes down to taking preventative measures every single day. Dermatologist-approved tips to achieve optimal skin fitness include:
- Avoiding the sun. This tip is the most important one of all. The secret to preventing early signs of aging is to avoid the sun. Why? Because sun exposure actually accounts for 80 percent of fine lines and wrinkles. Always wear sunblock with an SPF of 50 or higher. What's more, whenever possible, wear a hat and sunglasses outdoors.
- Drinking more water. Be sure to drink water consistently throughout the day to keep your skin hydrated. Most people are chronically dehydrated because of caffeinated beverages and alcohol. Aim to drink at least one-to-two liters of water daily.
- Taking cold showers. Using hot water to bathe will only make your skin itchy and dry. It also strips your skin of its natural oils. You should use only lukewarm or cold water when showering -- cold water results in tighter pores and suppler skin.
- Applying vaseline. Vaseline seals in skin's natural moisture by forming a protective barrier. Before going to bed, apply vaseline to your hands and feet and then place tube socks over them. You'll wake up to ultra-soft skin.
- Using a humidifier. Humidifiers help to combat dry skin by restoring moisture in the air. Place the humidifier in your bedroom and run it on full blast while you sleep to achieve dewy skin in the morning.
- Committing to a skincare routine. To maintain beautiful skin, you should follow a daily skincare routine consisting of wearing SPF 50 or higher, using a moisturizer at night, sleeping with a humidifier in your bedroom, and getting regular dermatological treatments.
When are dermatologists necessary?
No matter how well you take care of your skin at home, you are still limited by technology. To take your skin fitness routine to the next level, consider visiting a dermatologist to learn more about preventative skin treatments, such as IPL photo facials, Botox, and laser skin resurfacing.