Shapely calves are a thing of beauty. And to get them you must be dedicated. Because calves consist of two muscles, you need to incorporate lower leg exercises into your daily workout; they hit the two muscles from different angles. Here are ten exercises that tone calves fast.
1. Standing calf raise
This exercise delivers a deep stretch along with strengthening.
- Stand facing a wall
- Step two feet away from it
- Place your hands against the wall and lean in as if you were going to do a push up
- Keep your body in a straight line and your heels on the ground (you should feel a stretch)
- Go up on the balls of your feet as you continue to lean toward the wall
- Slowly lower back down
- Repeat 15 times
2. Seated calf raises
You will need dumbbells for this exercise. The should weigh at least 10 pounds.
- Sit in a chair
- Bend your legs 90 degrees angle
- Place your feet flat on the floor
- Pick up a dumbbell in each hand
- Hold them on your knees
- Slowly squeeze your calf muscles as you lift your legs to the balls of your feet (make sure you don’t bounce)
- Lower slowly without resting
- Repeat 15 times
3. Ankle circles
“Ankle circles can be done sitting or standing,” Self Growth notes.
- Use a steady object — a squat rack, for example — to hold yourself
- Lift your right leg in the air two inches from the floor
- Describe a circle with your big toe
- Repeat these steps with your left leg and foot
4. Calves SMR
SMR stands for “self myofascial release.” It’s a way of healing tissue, relieving pain, and relaxing muscles without anyone’s help.
- Sit on the floor
- Place a foam roller under your lower left leg
- Cross your right leg to the opposite side and let it support some of your weight
- Place your hands at your side
- Press down and raise your hips off the floor, putting weight on your calf muscle
- Roll from just below your knee to just above the ankle
- Pause at any point of tension for 10 seconds
- Repeat with your right leg
5. Balance board
Also known as a wobble board, a balance board delivers benefits beyond toned calves. “When used for strength training exercises,” PopSugar notes, “it’s a great tool for runners, skiers, tennis players, and yogis because it helps improve coordination and balancing abilities.”
- Place a balance board in front of you
- Stand on it
- Try to balance
- Hold your balance as long as you can
Other exercises for sexy calves
The great thing is that these are exercises you probably already do.
Awesome for your legs and calves, you should run five days a week for half an hour or so for best results.
Not only great for stress relief, strength, and flexibility, yoga’s also great for calves. Check out the tree pose.
Numerous ballet poses require you to stand on your toes. In this way it is similar to some yoga poses and calf raises. Consider enrolling in a beginner ballet class. “Yet, even without lacing up point shoes,” LiveStrong reports, “adding calf exercises to any workout routine can help build those muscles we admire.”
Not only do lunges tone your butt and thighs. They also shape your calves. Do two sets of 12 lunges.
“The king of all butt exercises,” as Top.Me calls them, squats tone your legs, butt, and calves. They work best when you maintain proper form: Your knees should never extend beyond your toes, and you shouldn’t lean forward.
Don’t have a cow about toning calves
Toned, shapely calves are a must if you plan to wear shorts, skirts, or dresses. These important, sexy muscles often take a back seat to glutes and quads. Let them drive your exercise time for once by walking, jumping, and bike riding. These exercises strengthen and firm them.