How to make your own body wash
Most conventional body washes you find at the store contain artificial ingredients that actually dry out your skin. Gross!
But it's easier than you think to make your own all-natural moisturizing body wash. These five simple DIY recipes are guaranteed to leave your skin feeling silky soft:
1. Lavender Honey Coconut Body Wash
This luxurious, ultra-moisturizing body wash only contains five ingredients, all of which you can pronounce.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup liquid Castile soap
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- Place the coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until melted
- Add the honey, lavender oil, and vitamin E, whisking together
- Slowly add the Castile soap, stirring gently
- Transfer to a plastic bottle
2. Rosemary Oatmeal Body Wash
This soothing all natural body wash is made from real oats and rosemary.
- 1 tablespoon oats
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon corn-based citric acid
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 1/2 cups Castile soap
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 30 drops rosemary essential oil
- Boil water in a saucepan
- Place the rosemary and oats in a bowl
- Pour hot water over the rosemary and oats, letting sit for an hour
- Strain the water
- Whisk together the coconut oil, honey, infused water, and citric acid in a bowl
- Add the guar gum, whisking together
- Immediately whisk in the Castile soap until blended
- Add the rosemary essential oil, and blend
- Store body wash in a plastic container or glass jar with a lid
3. Almond Lemon Orange Body Wash
This zesty ultra-emollient body wash is sure to wake you up in the morning.
- 1/2 cup Castile soap
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
- 20 drops each of lemon and orange essential oils
- Place all the ingredients in a glass jar and shake until blended
4. Peppermint Vanilla Body Wash
This gentle body wash can be used on even the most sensitive skin.
- 1 grated pure Castile soap bar
- 12 cups water
- 2 tablespoons glycerin
- 10 drops each of peppermint and vanilla essential oil
- Bring the water to a simmer
- Add the grated soap and stir until completely dissolved
- Turn off heat
- Add the glycerin
- Allow to set for 24 hours before using
5. Shea Butter Body Wash
This moisturizing body wash is formulated with shea butter and coconut oil, which seal in moisture.
- 6 cups distilled water
- 1/2 bar shea butter soap
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Bentonite clay
- 20 drops lavender oil
- Chop up half a bar of shea butter soap
- Blend the chopped up bar of soap in a coffee grinder until it is a fine powder
- Heat up the distilled water in a large pot and add the soap
- Stir until the soap is melted
- Add the coconut oil until melted
- Add the clay to the pot
- Mix everything together
- Remove the pot from heat, and place the mixture in a glass container
- Add the lavender oil once the mixture has cooled
Lather your way to silky soft skin
If you want to achieve ultra-smooth, silky soft skin, then you should ditch store-bought body washes. Making your own body wash is super easy. Try out one of the above DIY recipes, and your skin will thank you.
- "11 Ways to Make Homemade Body Wash," Hello Glow, February 19, 2015.
- "5 Shower Mistakes that are Drying out Your Skin," Huffington Post, February 22, 2016.
- "The Benefits of Organic Body Washes for Your Skin," Auroma, August 22, 2009.