Labor Day is here, and with it comes the official end of summer. For most people, it’s their last chance to host a BBQ or picnic before fall arrives. Say goodbye to summer and hello to fall with these 5 cocktails:
1. Ginger peach sangria
This summery sangria is made with refreshing ginger juice, mint, and basil.
- 1 bottle white wine
- 1 cup Marnier
- 4 peaches sliced
- Splash of ginger juice
- 1 lemon sliced
- A handful of mint and basil
- Stir all ingredients together in a pitcher.
- Chill until you’re ready to serve.
2. Grapefruit Paloma
If you love margaritas, then you’ll love this grapefruit paloma -- it’s a little tangy and sweet.
- 4 ounces tequila
- 1-ounce fresh lime juice
- 3 ounces fresh grapefruit juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1-ounce club soda
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest of one lime
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- To make the simple syrup, pour the ¼ cup lime juice and ¼ cup water into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat and wait until it begins to boil. Then add the ½ cup sugar and stir until it’s completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To make the lime sugar, pour ¼ cup sugar into a bowl, and then add the lime zest. Mix together until well combined. Then rub a slice of grapefruit on the rim of the glass to dampen it, and then press down into the sugar mixture. Set the glasses aside.
- In a shaker combine the tequila, lime juice, grapefruit juice, and lime simple syrup. Then add a pinch of salt, and shake to combine.
- Pour the mixture over ice into the rimmed glasses.
- Top with club soda, and then stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy.
3. Guava Mojitos
This delicious guava mojito has a yummy tropical flavor -- perfect for saying goodbye to summer.
- A handful of mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 can of guava nectar
- 2 ounces white rum
- Splash of sparkling water
- Muddle together the mint, sugar, and lime in a cocktail shaker.
- Add the guava nectar, rum, and some ice to the shaker.
- Shake everything up, and then evenly divide the mixture between two glasses.
- Add a splash of sparkling water on top.
4. Lemon blueberry martini
Take full advantage of berry season with this unique spin on the traditional martini.
- 1 large strawberry
- 5 large blueberries
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ ounces berry flavored vodka
- ½ ounce limoncello
- 4 ounces brut champagne
- Add the strawberry and blueberries to a cocktail shaker and muddle them.
- Then add the sugar, pour in the vodka, and limoncello, stirring to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a martini glass and top with champagne.
5. Tropical sunset
This cocktail combines all the best flavors of summer -- mangoes, peaches, and strawberries.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup frozen mangoes
- 1 cup frozen peaches
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- 2 shots vodka
- Bring water to a simmer in a pot, and then melt the sugar in it.
- Turn the heat down low, and allow to thicken for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the fruit to the sugar mixture, allowing it to sit in the liquid for ten minutes.
- Add the vodka, stir, and remove from heat.
- Drain the liquid through a mesh sieve into a bowl, and then place the liquid into a larger bowl that contains ice.
- Place in the freezer for ten minutes.
- Then pour the liquid into a shaker with ice, shake, and then serve.
- "3 Cocktails to End Summer the Best Way Possible,” Redbook, August 29, 2014.
- “20 Labor Day Drinks To Toast Summer Goodbye At Your Last Barbecue Of The Year,” Bustle, August 28, 2016.
- “17 Perfect Poolside Cocktails for Labor Day,” Town & Country, August 22, 2017.