Channel your inner witch with “mysticore,” a New Age-y fashion trend which involves potions, crystals, and candles. Currently sweeping the nation, mysticore is all about personal empowerment and modern feminism. No mysticore maven can be seen without these five items:
1. Crystal ball
You can’t fully embrace the mysticore movement without a crystal ball. Commonly found in New Age stores, a crystal ball is used for fortune-telling, energy healing, and drawing energy and protection. To channel your inner white witch, you’ll want to place your crystal ball on your fireplace.
2. Flowing black dresses
In mysticore, black is the new black (think the members of Ladytron). Any type of black dress will do, but it should flow. Pair them with black tights and heels for an ultra-mystical look.
3. Gemstone jewelry
Accessorize your mysticore look with gemstone rings, bracelets, and necklaces. Gemstone jewelry is highly prized in the New Age community, and each gemstone possesses a different metaphysical property. Agate, for instance, is used to ground yourself, and garnet repels negative energy.
4. Black eyeliner
Because mysticore combines elements of New Age, normcore, and goth, most mysticore fashionistas love showing off smoky eyes by using black eyeliner and gray eyeshadow. This achieves a seductive charm. If you go for smoky eyes, pair them with some glitter and neutral lip-gloss.
5. Tarot cards
Any mysticore follower wouldn’t be caught dead without a pack of tarot cards. Found in most New Age shops, tarot cards are commonly used to measure outcomes and evaluate influences surrounding a person. You can easily learn how to conduct tarot card readings, which will surely enchant all your friends.
6. Core Mysticore Makeup Essentials
To get the mysticore look, you’ll have to rethink your makeup routine. Mysticore means dramatic eye makeup. If you’re interested in achieving this look, you’ll need:
7. Smoky eyes
The tricks to this are defining and blending. To do these:
• Sketch a soft line on your entire top lash line and around to the outside half of the bottom lash line with black eyeliner
• Dust a medium-dark gray color over your entire eyelid, feathering it into the crease of your eye
• Layer the product for precision
• Blend to add dimension and build out of the shape of the eye
• Layer a sparkly dark gray eyeshadow over the shadow and liner on your top lid
• Blend with a small brush the same color over the liner on the bottom lash line
• Blend a light shimmery gray into the corner of your eyes and into the liner as well as the darker shadow using the same brush
• Apply a light silver loose powder to the center of your top lid, and also in the corners of your eye
• Blend it together
Perfect Nude Lips
To achieve the perfect nude lips to match your smoky mystical eyes:
• Apply foundation on your lip area to tone down any natural lip color
• Line the perimeters of your lip with a nude lip liner
• Fill in your entire lip area with a nude lipstick of your choice
• Trace the inside area of both the top and bottom lip with a pale pink lip liner
• Blend the line by running your figure over it
To top off this look, apply cosmetic-safe glitter all over your face, including your cheeks and around your eyes. Remove with baby oil.
Cast a spell
Weave some magic into your wardrobe with mysticore. All it takes is some witchy dresses, gems, and a bit of imagination.
- "'Mysticore' Is the New Norm: Inside the Trend That's Casting Its Spell Over the Culture," Salon, August 22, 2016.
- "What Is 'Mysticore' and Why Has It Cast Such a Spell on Us?," The Debrief, October 7, 2016.