The Beauty Of Salicylic Acid
If you’ve got oily or acne-prone skin, salicylic acid is your best friend.
The anti-inflammatory found in aspirin, salicylic acid in liquid form breaks up dead skin cells to unclog blackheads and whiteheads. It also reduces oil production and fades discoloration and redness.
How much salicylic acid should you use?
When you first begin using salicylic acid, limit yourself to every other day or night. This will let you see how your skin reacts.
Most over-the-counter treatments are between 0.5% and 2% salicylic acid, so they’re generally safe to use on a regular basis. If you haven’t experienced any irritation after two weeks of using a salicylic acid product every other day, you can assume that it’s safe for your skin.
If you’re allergic to aspirin or have rosacea, you should steer clear of products that contain salicylic acid.
The best products containing salicylic acid
A lot of dermatologists prefer products containing salicylic acid over those containing benzoyl peroxide because they’re less harsh and irritating. A wide range of skincare products exist that have added salicylic acid, such as cleansers, moisturizers, facial scrubs, and topical creams.
Here’s some of the best products to look out for:
• Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser
This cleanser, which contains 2% salicylic acid, also has very small scrubbing beads that help to exfoliate the skin, leaving your skin nice and smooth.
• Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
This affordable cleanser contains 2% salicylic acid. It foams nicely and rinses away clean.
• Bioré Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser
Great if you have super oily skin, this cleanser leaves your skin feeling deeply cleansed but not too dry.
• Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer
Formulated for acne-prone skin, this moisturizer balances and evens your tone, and it treats blemishes.
• Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Moisturizing Lotion
This lightweight lotion helps control oil and protects against blemishes without irritating your skin.
• Yes to Tomatoes Repairing Acne Lotion
This moisturizing lotion contains all-natural salicylic acid that penetrates pores to clear up blemishes and urge your skin to heal.
• Bioré Pore Unclogging Scrub
This oil-free scrub fights dirt, oil residue, and blackheads, leaving your skin clear and supple.
• Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub
This gentle scrub helps to prevent blemishes, cure redness, and eliminate blackheads.
• Yes to Tomatoes Acne Daily Pore Scrub
This acne-fighting scrub is powerful enough to combat blackheads and breakouts but is gentle enough for daily use.
• Clearasil Rapid Action Treatment Gel
This salicylic acid gel works instantly to visibly reduce spot size and redness in just four hours.
• Clinique Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel
This gel contains a four-in-one clearing complex with salicylic acid. It clears up blemishes instantly and helps to prevent new ones from forming.
• Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Spot Gel
This medicated gel contains salicylic acid. It reduces pimples and scars, and it reverses new breakouts before they become visible.
- "Here's Exactly What Salicylic Acid Does to Your Skin," Allure, July 13, 2016.
- "Salicylic Acid vs. Benzoyl Peroxide: Find Which Acne Treatment Is Right For You," Teen Vogue, October 13, 2016.
- "The Effects of Salicylic Acid on the Skin," Livestrong, August 16, 2013.
- "What the Heck Is Salicylic Acid, And Why Is It in Your Skincare?," The Huffington Post, October 3, 2014.