Everything you need to know about laser treatments
From laser hair removal to Clear + Brilliant laser facials, there’s a laser treatment for nearly everyone. Lasers can do almost anything nowadays, from blasting away unwanted tattoos to reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Pretty incredible, right? If you’re thinking about getting laser treatments, here’s everything you need to know about planning them.
Be familiar with the technology used
There are so many different technologies that drive laser treatments. That’s why it’s crucial to be familiar with all the underlying technologies and how treatments work:
- When performed to today’s technology standards, laser hair removal typically uses Nd:YAG and Alexandrite lasers. The Alexandrite specializes in skin types 1 to 3, whereas the Nd:YAG targets skin types 4 to 6. These lasers essentially work by damaging the hair follicle to minimize hair growth. The Cynosure Apogee Elite is a dual-wavelength laser combining both Nd:YAG and Alexandrite lasers to effectively treat different skin and hair follicle types. It’s considered top of the line equipment that allows the clinician to optimize treatment for each skin and hair type.
- Clear + Brilliant is a non-invasive dioxide laser that creates millions of microscopic treatment zones deep within the skin, replacing damaged skin with healthy, younger-looking tissue.
- Laser tattoo removal usually involves Q-switch lasers, such as the Astanza Duality, each one targeting a different color spectrum at different wavelengths. They target the tattoo pigments, causing them to fragment.
All three of these popular laser treatments are non-invasive, which means little downtime is involved.
Know how many treatments you’ll need…and when you can expect to see results
Most non-invasive laser treatments require multiple sessions to achieve optimal results. Patients typically like to start laser treatments in the fall and winter because that’s when they’re less likely to experience side effects as a result of sun exposure. It’s essential to know how many treatments you’ll need and when to schedule them. Remember that it might take months to see desired results, so plan accordingly.
- With laser hair removal, the number of treatments you’ll need depends on the area being treated. You could need anywhere from four-to-ten treatments, spaced six-to-eight weeks apart. After the final treatment, hair growth will be permanently reduced by up to 80%. Basically, you’ll see results within a few months of when you start laser hair removal.
- Similar to laser hair removal, the number of Clear + Brilliant treatments you’ll need depends on your skincare goals. Many patients notice visible improvements after four-to-ten treatments spaced a few weeks apart, but results are both immediate and progressive.
- Laser tattoo removal all depends on the specific tattoo you’re getting rid of, including the amount and type of ink used and how deeply it sits. It also takes three-to-six weeks between treatments for your body to absorb the pigment residue, so that’s why treatments tend to be spaced several weeks apart. It typically takes a few months to eliminate a tattoo entirely.
When it comes to planning and scheduling laser treatments, you should know how each treatment works, how many sessions you’ll need, and how long it takes to notice results. This will ensure your laser treatments go as smoothly as possible. Remember to always go to a well-regarded and trusted aesthetic dermatology provider, like LaserAway, where you can talk through your treatment in detail with a clinician.