What to know about Xeomin, the Botox alternative
The world of cosmetic treatments has been forever changed with the introduction of neurotoxin treatments. Among the myriad of options, Botox has always reigned supreme. However, Xeomin has emerged as a contender that’s worth discussing. Below is a comprehensive guide on Xeomin, how it differs from Botox, and what you can expect from its application.
How Xeomin works
- Mechanism of Action: Similar to Botox, Xeomin is a neuromodulator. It acts by blocking nerve activity in the muscles, leading to a temporary reduction in muscle activity.
- Targeted Treatment: It is primarily used to treat moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows, though its uses can be extended to other areas on the upper and lower face, as well as the neck.
- Onset and Duration: Patients typically begin seeing results within 3-4 days of receiving Xeomin injections. These results can last anywhere from three to four months, comparable to Botox.
Xeomin vs. Botox: The differences
- Purity: One of the primary differentiators between Xeomin and Botox is purity. Xeomin is often referred to as a “naked” neurotoxin because it doesn’t contain any additives or proteins. This makes it less likely that one will develop a resistance to it over time.
- Price: Because it is more of a newcomer to the category, Xeomin is usually more aggressively priced (less expensive).
The ideal candidate for Xeomin
- Age Group: Xeomin is best suited for adults ages 18+ who are experiencing fine lines or wrinkles or who are looking to prevent these early signs of aging altogether.
- No Allergies: If you’ve had allergic reactions to other botulinum toxin products in the past, it’s essential to discuss with your practitioner before opting for Xeomin.
- No Skin Infections: The treatment area should be free from active skin infections to prevent complications.
- Overall Health: It’s always a good idea to discuss your health history, medications, and any previous cosmetic treatments with your practitioner before choosing Xeomin.
Results you can expect
- Smoother Appearance: With Xeomin injections, you can expect a smoother and more youthful appearance.
- Quick Results: While some people notice results within three days, the full effect is generally observed within two weeks.
- Duration: The results from Xeomin typically last between three to four months. After that, you will need follow-up treatments to maintain the desired look. Over time, you may notice that you need less dosage to achieve the same desired outcomes.
- Side Effects: Like any other cosmetic treatment, Xeomin can have minor side effects. Common ones include redness at the injection site, swelling, and bruising. It’s crucial to follow post-treatment care guidelines provided by your practitioner.
To sum up…
Xeomin, while similar in many aspects to Botox, brings its unique advantages to the table. Its purity and cost make it an appealing option for many. However, as with any cosmetic procedure, the key to successful treatment lies in understanding your needs, discussing them with a qualified practitioner, and setting realistic expectations.
Always remember the right treatment for you is the one tailored to your individual needs and aesthetic goals. Want to learn more about Xeomin? Check out LaserAway, the nation’s leading aesthetic dermatological provider, where all treatments are performed by registered nurses, nurse practitioners, or physician associates overseen by board-certified dermatologists.