What Causes Under Eye Wrinkles
As you age, your eyes are the first place where visible signs of aging start to show. This is because the area around your eyes is so delicate, and the skin is thinner than on other areas of your face. You might notice fine lines and wrinkles start to crop up in your late 20s and early 30s. But certain things can accelerate the formation of under eye wrinkles:
- Not wearing sunglasses on a regular basis. Whenever you're outside, you should always wear sunglasses, which will protect the skin around your eyes from harmful UVA/UVB rays. It also prevents you from squinting, which contributes to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Rubbing your eyes. Since the skin around your eyes is so delicate and thin, rubbing your eyes causes the skin to stretch and become more wrinkled. The same thing goes with removing eye makeup. You want to always remove eye makeup as gently as possible using eye makeup remover.
- Sleeping on your stomach. When you sleep on your stomach, the side of your face resting on the pillow is often squished, which can lead to premature under eye wrinkles. Sleeping every night on your stomach can result in visible fine lines and wrinkles under your eyes. To prevent this, try sleeping on your back instead. If you find it difficult to sleep on your back, try placing a pillow under your knees so that you don't roll over onto your stomach.
- Skipping SPF. Applying sunscreen to your face is the number one way to prevent premature signs of aging. Why? Because prolonged sun exposure is the primary cause of fine lines and wrinkles. Failing to apply SPF every day causes collagen and elastin to break down, resulting in noticeable fine lines and wrinkles. To prevent under eye wrinkles, make sure to wear a moisturizer with an SPF of 30 or higher every day.
Other lifestyle factors also contribute to the formation of under eye wrinkles, such as poor diet, smoking, and not exercising.
Diminish fine lines and wrinkles under your eyes instantly
If you're noticing fine lines and wrinkles begin to crop up around your eyes, you can easily diminish them by using the following expert tips:
- Apply Aquaphor under your eyes. Before going to bed, pat some Aquaphor on your lips and under your eyes. This will plump up lines by sealing in moisture. You'll wake up with visibly diminished under eye wrinkles.
- Drink more water. A lot of visible under eye wrinkles are caused by dehydration. But drinking ample water throughout the day and right before bed will reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes. You'll also want to get more shuteye. Why? Because fine lines and wrinkles repair themselves to a certain extent while you sleep.
- Use primer. If you use undereye concealer, you'll probably notice that it settles into fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes. But if you use a sheer, moisturizing primer instead, you'll notice that it smooths fine lines and wrinkles, making them almost invisible.
The best creams for under eye wrinkles
In addition to making lifestyle changes to reduce the appearance of under eye wrinkles, you should also use one of these creams:
1. RoC Retinol Correction Eye Cream
This non-greasy moisturizing cream is specially formulated for use around the delicate eye area. It reduces the appearance of dark circles, diminishes fine lines and wrinkles, and decreases puffiness. You'll notice results in as little as 12 weeks.
2. LA Beauty Eye Opener Multi-Tasking Eye Serum
Eye Opener Multi-Tasking Eye Serum reduces the look of tired and fatigued skin around the eye area. It's infused with Poly Hyaluronic Acid Complex, skin-strengthening peptides, and light-diffusing optics that visibly diminish puffiness, uneven tone, lines, wrinkles, and dryness.
3. CeraVe Eye Repair Cream
CeraVe Eye Repair Cream helps to restore the protective skin barrier of the delicate eye area. This fast-absorbing, non-greasy lotion contains three essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid that reduces the appearance of dark circles and puffiness for brighter, smoother looking skin.
4. Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream
Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream minimizes the appearance of UV-induced lines and wrinkles, promotes resilient-looking skin and helps prevent signs of premature aging around the delicate eye area. It also defends against dryness while enhancing skin's radiance.
5. La Roche-Posay Redermic R Eyes
La Roche-Posay Redermic R Eyes contains pure retinol that visibly reduces the appearance of crow's feet wrinkles. It is also formulated with a retinol booster complex that enhances retinol efficacy, and caffeine that reduces the appearance of dark circles.