What are lip fillers?
Lip augmentation is one of the most popular aesthetic dermatological procedures in the U.S., and for good reasons, too. Many opt for lip fillers because they are a minimally invasive and temporary way to enhance the shape of lips and are made from hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring substance in the body. Want to learn more about lip fillers? Read on.
What are your options?
Over the last several years, the FDA has approved various hyaluronic acid fillers for lips. While the new formulas are all similar in composition, there are slight variations in longevity and density:
- Restylane and Restylane-L. These lip fillers are best for achieving overall volume.
- Restylane Silk. This formula is best for subtle enhancements since the hyaluronic acid molecules are smaller.
- Revanesse LIPS+. This product gives your lips a natural look.
- Juvéderm Ultra XC. This lip filler is best for achieving plush lips.
- Juvéderm Volbella XC. This formula is ideal for defining the lip line.
Results can last anywhere from six to twelve months. After that, more injections are needed to keep the volume of your lips.
How to ensure natural-looking results
To make sure your lip filler experience is the best that it can be and that you achieve results that you want, follow these tips:
- Do your homework. Find the right medical provider that has lots of experience. You can find reputable injectors directly on Juvéderm’s and Restylane’s websites and then browse their reviews. Be sure to find a board-certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, nurse practitioner, physician’s associate, or registered nurse who specializes in facial aesthetics.
- Schedule a consultation. During the initial meeting, you’ll review your medical history, discuss your goals, and find out how to prep for your treatment. Be sure to request before-and-after photos of real patients.
- Avoid discounts. Remember that you get what you pay for. A higher price tag on lip injections means that you’re paying for an injector’s experience. Don’t be tempted to go on coupon sites — if lip enhancement services are being offered cheaply, the chances are that the product might be cut with water or saline to cover the cost.
- Get touch ups. Factors like filler consistency and lifestyle can affect the longevity of lip fillers. That’s why it’s recommended that you get regular touchups every three months to a year.
Remember to increase the size of your lips gradually
Don’t expect to walk away with giant lips after one session. Instead, expect to increase the size of your lips gradually for the most natural-looking results. Give your lips time to adapt to the newly placed filler and settle into their natural state before deciding if you want more product.
Ready to plump up your lips? Contact LaserAway, the nation’s leading aesthetic dermatology provider, to speak with a treatment specialist. LaserAway offers Juvéderm Ultra XC and Ravanesse for lip augmentation, and all treatments are performed by registered nurses, nurse practitioners, or physician associates.