Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner. With it comes delicious Mexican food and spicy cocktails. Need some inspiration for your Cinco de Mayo party? Here are five deliciously
1. Jalapeno Margarita
This festive cocktail is tart, smooth, not too sweet, and -- most importantly -- spicy! This recipe makes one pitcher of margaritas.
- 4 cups tequila
- 1 cup Grand Marnier
- 1.5 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup simple syrup
- Lime and jalapeno slices
- Sliced jalapeno
- To make the jalapeño tequila, add the sliced jalapeño to the tequila and let it sit at room temperature for a few hours
- Strain the jalapeño out of the tequila
- Mix together all margarita ingredients
- Rim each margarita glass with salt, and serve
2. Spicy Michelada Beer Cocktail
Michelada is a classic Mexican beer cocktail that's refreshing with a slight kick. This recipe makes two drinks.
- Ground chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 12 ounces Negra Modelo beer
- 2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- In a shallow dish, mix together the salt and chili powder
- Line two rocks glasses with honey, and then dip them into the salt mixture
- In a pitcher combine the tomato juice, lime juice, beer, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey, and soy sauce
- Pour the mixture into the prepared glasses and serve
3. Spicy Gin Cucumber Lemonade
This refreshing cocktail is a little sweet and sour with the refreshing taste of crunchy cucumber.
- 4 ounces gin
- 16 ounces lemonade
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1 cucumber sliced up
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Place ice cubes in two ball glasses
- Mix together all the ingredients in a pitcher
- Pour into the two glasses
4. Pineapple Cilantro Cocktail
This bold, spicy, and sweet cocktail gets its kick from serrano pepper.
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small lime, juiced
- 1 small slice of serrano pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- Agave nectar to taste
- Muddle the cilantro, lime juice and serrano in a glass
- Fill the shaker with ice
- Pour in the tequila, pineapple juice, and some agave nectar
- Shake well
- Strain the mixture over ice in a cocktail glass
- Garnish with a lime round
5. Spicy Tropical Mimosa
This sparkling tropical cocktail has a carrot twist with a spicy cayenne kick.
- 1 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 cups champagne
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Orange slices
- Mix together all ingredients except the cayenne pepper and orange slices in a large pitcher
- Add a few pinches of cayenne pepper and mix to taste
- Serve in chilled champagne glasses and garnish with orange slices
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a Kick
What's not to love about Cinco de Mayo? It's filled with amazing food, drinks, and friends. If you need some inspiration for your Cinco de Mayo party, make sure to try out one of the above unique cocktails all of which have a spicy kick!
- "21 Deliciously Spicy Cocktails," BuzzFeed, March 21, 2014.
- "6 Irresistible Cocktails for Cinco de Mayo," Real Simple, n.d.
- "Cinco de Mayo Drinks," Food and Wine, n.d.