Can't find your favorite lipstick? Got too many old cosmetic samples crammed into your makeup bag? It's time for a beauty overhaul. Here are tips on how to quickly declutter your makeup bag:
- Don't keep it if you don't love it. You know that eyeshadow? The one that looks amazing in its packaging but never seems to work? Don't keep it, thinking that one day you'll wear it. If you're not currently using certain cosmetics regularly, throw them away. They're just taking up unnecessary space.
- Use what you have. By the same token, if you have a million face masks, then you should probably start using them — schedule time to actually use some of your skincare products and cosmetics.
- Don't necessarily organize your cosmetics. While it's good to know where all your lipsticks are, the goal is to downgrade. Only keep cosmetics that you wear on a daily or weekly basis.
- Throw out expired cosmetics. All cosmetics have an expiration date. That's why it's essential to go through your makeup two or three times a year to toss out any old cosmetics that can harbor bacteria.
- Donate unopened items. It can feel wasteful tossing out skincare and beauty products. But many places will make great use of your products. Women's and homeless shelters will take unopened products as long as they are in good condition.
- Don't hoard makeup. Wait until you've used up a product before buying a new one. This will prevent you from hoarding all your favorite beauty items.
- Say no to free samples. Free products are one of the biggest culprits behind clutter. You might gather up free moisturizer or lipgloss samples, but do you use them? If you're not the type of person who actually uses samples, then get rid of them.
Try a no-buy challenge
One of the best ways to declutter your makeup bag and adopt a more minimalistic lifestyle is to try a no-buy challenge. Give yourself the challenge of not buying any cosmetics for a certain amount of time. This will enable you to use up the ones you already have.